The following are indicators of the presence of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome:
- A uterus which is too large for the gestational age and associated complaints by the mother such as shortness of breath, feeling of tension or back pain, etc.
- Ultrasound images of a shared placenta and same sex twins as well as the following characteristics:
- noticeably increased amniotic fluid in one amniotic sac and full urinary bladder of the corresponding child
- noticeably decreased amniotic fluid in the other amniotic sac and empty urinary bladder of the corresponding child
- signs of heart problems in one twin (valve insufficiency, possible water retention in the body)
- size difference between the twins
Please direct your treatment request to the UKE International Office.